Landscaping : Compost Tumblers : FAQs
Can I add extra items during the 14 day cycle?
We would recommend NO. Adding to the compost tumbler new material would mean the 14 day cycle would need to be restarted. Adding material on a daily basis is termed "cold" composting but will take longer.
What do I do with new material whilst waiting for an existing batch to compost?
New material could be held in a 'storage bin' for wet type materials. We recommend a 60 litre "storage bin".
The mixture takes longer than 14 days to compost?
What is the optimum ratio of 'inputs'?
- Move composter to a warmer location
- Reduce amount of 'wet' materials
- Winter and subsequent lower temperatures can extend cycle time
- Turn once per day with two revolutions
- Rotate immediately before warmest time of day
- Change ratio of 'inputs' to more "dry" than "wet"
- See separate "Trouble Shooting with the Rapid Compost Tumbler"
We generally recommend that your first experience with composting be approximately 50% for both wet and dry components. Progressively change this to 30% wet and 70% dry.
We suggest that during these initial batches that you keep a diary. Noting down type and composition of inputs, daily temperature, cloud cover, all assist in optimizing your use of the Rapid Compost Tumbler.
What should I use as material?
Composting is about recycling your refuse. We do not consider it necessary to purchase outside materials, blood and bone, nitrates ect
As a rule, use what you generate.
We classify this into two general groups.
Wet's: These being termed the nitrogen based materials.
Dry's: These being termed the carbon based materials.
Can I turn it too often?
Yes, turning the composter too often slows the compost cycle. The action of heat with nitrogen and carbons creates the compost. Turning too often does not allow sufficient heat to generate in the Composter to create and maintain the break down of the contents.
Suggested turning is once a day for 2 revolutions. We believe the best time to day is around 9am just before the days temperature starts to rise.
What is the warranty?
Each unit is sold with a two year full manufacturers warranty from the date of original invoice. All Warranty claims must be approved in advance by the manufacturer.
What model best suits me?
Buying criteria varies for every customer. However generalized selection criteria could be in order of importance.
Theses criteria will generally assist clients make an informed choice of the right compost tumbler.
- Budget - consider our prices and set your range
- Which model suits me: Mechanical Drive (chain driven for easier turning) or Manual Drive (rotate by hand)
- What is the size of the property? e.g. Garden Block or Acreage
- What type of material is available? e.g. Lawn clippings or household refuse.
- Number of people in the household
What is the maximum weight the unit will hold?
As an example the CT200SE would hold approximately 20kg. Compost ingredients are generally light in weight.
Can I buy direct?
Rotoplasdirect.com.au specializes in the manufacture/marketing of high quality end products direct to the end user. They are marketed direct through our website (www.rotoplasdirect.com.au) or through advertisements in magazines. We will also exhibit at major exhibitions such as the ABC Gardening Expo.